+ Reply to Thread

Default Painting treated pine porch railing

I installed a railing around my front porch, it looks terrific. I used treated pine, but now I am told that it should be allowed to weather and dry for 5 to 6 months. Are there any other options? I intend to paint it with an exterior paint to match the trim on my house. I would like to finish this project. Can anyone help? Thanks

Default Re: Painting treated pine porch railing

of course you can paint it but you won't be happy in a few weeks/months when the paint peels off. with pressure treated wood it must dry out prior to painting.

pressure treated wood is impregnated with a solution which is forced all the way through the wood grains to prevent water rot and insects. if the wood was kiln dried after being pressure treated it would warp beyond belief. the wood has to dry naturally all the way through or else the moisture would be trapped below the paint therefore making the paint peel off.

Ramona,

4 or 5 months might be a little long if the summer weather is warm, dry and the wood is in the sun during the day. If in doubt, try to get hold of a moisture meter to probe the moisture content. You want readings in the single digits. Acrylic latex paints are somewhat more tolerant of moisture content than oil paints, as they breathe better, allowing moisture to slowly pass on through the paint film without peeling.

Use re-dried pressure treated material. Or use better exterior wood that is not PT. Porch rails normally don't see weather like deck rails, since presumably they are under roof. Back priming regular millwork stock (generally it's fir in my area) and priming the end grain of all your cuts is enough to ensure a long lasting rail detail. Using SS fasteners is also a plus. If your wallet will tolerate it, you can use spanish cedar or mahogany for exterior railing and paint or leave it unpainted.
    Casey
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.