+ Reply to Thread

Default Attic units in NJ

I'm looking to purchase an older house(1930's est) that has no heat run to the second floor. The terms of the loan would require some sort of heat in the bedrooms(4) to qualify them as habitable space. The current owner says it does fine up there with the current Forced hot air oil system as long as you leave the doors open. They never ran the ducts to the second floor for fear of ruining the plaster walls. We were discussing options with the home inspector, and he suggested a heating unit in the Attic, or electric BB. I've never liked Electric BB, The attic unit seemed like an option that would work with our long term goal of the house, I.E. converting to gas and maybe adding AC. But as I do some research It seems to be a frowned upon practice in the North East, the house is in Central Jersey. I was wondering if there were any recommendations for this issue. We will have a budget for renovations when we acquire the home, But I'm not looking to go to extravagant.

Default Re: Attic units in NJ

You might consider a split unit, it will provide heat and cooling. Unless you have a large walk-in attic installation and repairs will be significantly more.

Jack
    Last edited by JLMCDANIEL; 06-05-2013 at 02:56 PM.
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

electric baseboard.....it's an inexpensive install compared to the other options and if it's mainly used to just boost the temp a few degrees on the cold days, it shouldn't be very expensive to maintain.

I personally would look into running ducts to the second floor. without seeing the house I cant be sure but I would think it would be cheaper that adding a second unit but that is only if the current furnace is big enough. it would also be better down the road when you add air or switch to gas because you would only have one unit. but mlb is right electric base board would absolutely be the easiest and cheapest option but there would be no way to add ac in that case

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    You might consider a split unit, it will provide heat and cooling. Unless you have a large walk-in attic installation and repairs will be significantly more.

Jack
    The attic has plenty of headroom, so access should not be an issue.

I'm planning to be in the house for the long hall, so I'm worried about a quick fix(I.E. Base board) that will not be upgradeable, and not serve our needs in the future. Before the discussion of the heating system I was contemplating an external propane tank for the stove, but this seemed like a way to kill several birds with one stone. I'm more concerned with the inefficiency and moisture problems that seem to be associated with an Attic unit in the North East.