+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Unhappy block foundation HOLES -please help !!!

My house was built in the 40's and evidentally back then, the owner wanted to hang shelving, they drilled 1"+ holes, inserted wood plugs and nailed into the plug. Now I have these holes, some still have the wood plugs. When I tried to remove the wood it came apart and fell back into the block. How and what materials should I use to fill these holes, I have several. I have read about repairing cracks, can I use the same type of patch??? Thanks in advance.

Default Re: block foundation HOLES -please help !!!

Deb:

This is almost exactly like mixing up a batch of cake frosting & troweling it into the holes.

One trick I've used is to remove the wood plug, even if you have to punch them into the block cavity, then partially fill the cavity with wads of pink fiberglass insulation.

I suppose even crumpled up newspaper could be used.

The objective is to have something the wet mortar can rest up against while it cures; use a wood dowel or screwdriver, etc. to stuff the material into the hole.

Leave a hole cavity depth of about 1 inch for the fresh mortar to fill.

A small sack of mortar mix that requires only adding water can be bought at the big box stores.

A small plastic tub or pail can be used to mix up a small batch of the mortar mix.

Use a spray water bottle to completely douse the hole with water before inserting the fresh mortar; this will allow the mortar to adhere to the rest of the block.

Lay down some plastic sheeting or newspaper directly beneath the area you'll be working; this work will result in some of the wet mortar falling to the basement floor, which can make a mess.

Trowel the mortar into the hole with a putty knife, old butter knife, small piece of stiff plastic, etc.; smooth out the surface as flat as possible with the putty knife.

When mixing the mortar mix, add only enough water to make a mix the consistency of peanut butter; if you add too much water the mortar will flow out of the holes before it sets.

Add slightly more mortar mix powder if the initial mix comes out too watery to use; conversely, add more water to the mix if it is too stodgy or thick to use.

Come back an hour or so later when the patches are half dry to smooth any rough edges on the surfaces with the putty knife & allow to cure overnight.

The wall can be painted with a paint designed for masony walls, or by using such products as UGL drylock.

http://www.ugl.com

http://www.quikrete.com
    Last edited by JacktheShack; 09-15-2007 at 08:42 PM.