+ Reply to Thread

Default Outside corner joints of old paneling

Need some advice. I am trying to rescue some old paneling in our kitchen - neither the resources, time or inclination to replace. So am going to clean, degloss, sand, prime and paint. The paneling at the outside corners was not mitered. Instead, the previous owners used some cheap plastic molding (not sure - this might be what you call j-channel) to hide the top-to-bottom vertical joint. What would be the easiest way for me to update these corners aesthetically? I think that the quarter-round molding I have seen would stick out too far from the paneling. Thanks!

Default Re: Outside corner joints of old paneling

You could spackle, sand, and caulk the edge/joint and it will nearly disappear with paint, OR you could go with an outside corner molding, which is an "L" shaped molding to cover the joint and paint that in. Outside corner is about 3/16" thick, so it won't protrude all that much.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Great. Thanks. I was thinking that joint compound would not work - I did not think of spackle. Would paint cover the L-shaped metal molding that they make for drywall? Or were you referring to a plastic or wood L-shaped molding? Thanks much.

I was referring to replacing the existing metal corner with a wood corner mold. If you use the wood, there will be no sanding/spackling other than the nail holes where you attached the trim.

If you go the caulk and spackle route, then you fill the edge grain of the plywood with the spackle, sand it, refill/sand if necessary. Carefully sc**** the joint and caulk it. That should virtually eliminate the plywood edge. If you leave the existing metal trim in place, it will stand out like a sore thumb once painted
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!