+ Reply to Thread

Default Conecting 1/2 in O.D. tubing to modern shut off valve

Is there a way or an adapter to connect 1/2 O.D. tubing to a 3/8 in shut off valve? I am installing an old style clawfoot tub and the supply tubing that came with the tub is 1/2 O.D. The local plumbng supply houses say there is no way to connect this and no adapters are available but they sell the 1/2 O.D tubing. Any ideas??

Default Re: Conecting 1/2 in O.D. tubing to modern shut off valve

I don't know exactly what you're trying to do, but such a thing exists: it's called 1/2" x 3/8" "reducing bushing". You can get it at wholesale plumbing supply places. I's brass and the price is less than a buck.

Why not use a 1/2" shut off valve?

The supply tubing that connects the tub set to the water supply line for the clawfoot tub I purchased is 1/2 in OD. The waterline stubbed out of the floor is CPVC 1/2 in ID. I need to go from 1/2 OD supply line and connect to a 1/2 ID water line. The 1/2 in shutoff valves at the local hardware, Lowes, Home depot are all 1/2 ID and the OD line will not fit. I am looking for some kind of adapter the will connect a 1/2 od line to 1/2 or 3/8 ID lines. It seems all the ID lines are now the standard and the OD line is the original size back in the day. I was hoping to find someone who sold an adapter or I might be forced to purchase a modern tub set which will not go well with the antique tub.

This is what you need. The handle style should go along with your tub. They're a little pricey. You can get the same valve with plane looking handles for less $ if you're not concerned with looks. The valve will attach to your CPVC an tale a 1/2" OD supply which you say you have.
    http://www.signaturehardware.com/product3378
    John