+ Reply to Thread

Default Main Circuit Breaker Off But Lights are On & Room Addition Will NOT Come On

Last month we moved into an older mobile home, a double wide with an large room addition where we have set up our computers. The room gets very hot so we put in a portable room A/C. When I plugged in an electrical skillet in the kitchen outlet, the electricity went out in the room addition area. We thought a circuit breaker tripped, but when we checked the box, nothing was tripped. We thus turned all the breakers off, then on, but that did not bring the electricity back on. We then turned all the lights on in the home, turned off each breaker, (trying to create a legend since there was none), we even turned off the main circuit breaker and the lights in the master bedroom, also part of the add-on, does not go out. Any recommendations? A friend said that the breaker for the addition probably needs better contact (add some aluminum foil), but I do not want to touch the panel if it is still HOT. Has anyone had this before? Thank you

Default Re: Main Circuit Breaker Off But Lights are On & Room Addition Will NOT Come On

If you flipped off the main and the lights stayed on I would look for an addition panel.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Default Re: Main Circuit Breaker Off But Lights are On & Room Addition Will NOT Come On

Sometimes a defective main breaker won't "open"

Have you tried turning it off and on?

Also, the meter could have been jumpered, to save a little on electricity.

Could be time to call an electrician.
    Good Luck from Columbiana, Alabama
    Maurice Turgeon, Hidden Content

It sounds like there's another panel somewhere feeding the addition. If you have overhead wires coming to the house, the panel is likely directly under the mast. If you have underground wires, go in the crawlspace and look for a conduit coming up out of the ground (not the sewer pipe!). The panel is likely directly above the conduit. You may also have a conduit running through the crawl space from the vicinity of the original panel to the subpanel in the addition.

Check inside cabinets and closets in the addition.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

Quote Originally Posted by classy106 View Post
    Last month we moved into an older mobile home, a double wide with an large room addition where we have set up our computers. The room gets very hot so we put in a portable room A/C. When I plugged in an electrical skillet in the kitchen outlet, the electricity went out in the room addition area. We thought a circuit breaker tripped, but when we checked the box, nothing was tripped. We thus turned all the breakers off, then on, but that did not bring the electricity back on. We then turned all the lights on in the home, turned off each breaker, (trying to create a legend since there was none), we even turned off the main circuit breaker and the lights in the master bedroom, also part of the add-on, does not go out. Any recommendations? A friend said that the breaker for the addition probably needs better contact (add some aluminum foil), but I do not want to touch the panel if it is still HOT. Has anyone had this before? Thank you
    Classy,

This sounds like a potentially dangerous situation. The previous occupants may have wired the box so that electricity from the outside service line bypasses the electrical meter to power the home addition. If this is the case, I recommend getting it fixed very soon.

As already mentioned, you may also have more than one electrical panel. A easy way to find out is to see where the electrical wires are coming into your home. The electrical box is usually not too far away from it. It could be right there on the same wall as the entry point of the electrical service wires. If you can't figure this out, call a qualified licensed electrician.

#BestKCInspector
    www.greenamericahomeinspections.com
    www.greenamericainspections.com