+ Reply to Thread

Default Can't remove light cover

I know this is probably a dumb question, but I bought this house last year. There's a light in bedroom with two bulbs, one of which just went out. I was going to replace the bulb, but can't seem unscrew the cap or take it off. The cap is sort of round and flat, and I don't know how to take it off. I suppose I could force it, but I thought it better to ask and look like a fool, than break it. I included a picture. It's not the best picture, but hopefully it'll help. Thanks.

Default Re: Can't remove light cover

You're right, the picture is not clear.

If there is no nut at the bottom of the lens/globe, then it could be the "snap on" type. Gently shake it from side to side while pulling it down. But don't damage it...we don't take responsibility.

Agreed. If that silver button on the bottom is not a cap nut, then it's got hidden clips and should come down with a little gentle persuasion.

If that button on the bottom IS a cap nut and you can't turn it, get a pair of pliers to give yourself a little better grip and torque. Remember, right=tight, left=loose. When you get the nut off, squirt a little WD-40 or 3-in-1 oil on the threads and then wipe it down to remove the excess, this will help the next time you need to take it down. You can do the same thing to the screw base of the bulb so that the bulb releases from the socket more easily, but it is imperative that you wipe down the excess from the bulb base, you just want an ever so slight coating on the threads.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Thanks for the replies. I appreciate the help. Yes, I'm afraid my photography could be better. I tried using a pliers, but the cap wouldn't budge. The bed is too short to see into the light and my ladder is too tall. I took some a new picture that hopefully will help shed some light on the issue:

Thanks for any help.