+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Do I need a roof vent? Should I have one with no insulation in attic?

I live in a 100+ year old home, that by all accounts, has never had any kind of ventilation in the attic. The problem now is we have a modern roof with modern airtight materials and the attic is hotter than the blazes of hell in the summer. Adding to the confusion, we have no insulation in this very large attic but we do have barnboard floors and some old knob and tube in the ceilings below so we can't just blow in some insulation (at this point).

So my question is... if we do install a ridge vent to save on cooling and extend the life of our roof, will we be significantly adding to our heating costs in the winter? Is there a better venting system that allows for seasonal use? For instance, open in the summer but, closed in the winter? BTW, we have never had issues with ice dams, rot, or mildew.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Default Re: Do I need a roof vent? Should I have one with no insulation in attic?

a ridge vent alone will do nothing you need ridge and soffit vents and insulation. or you can insulate the bottom of the roof deck and seal the attic making it a conditioned space. but this will not help the life of your roof any.

Default Re: Do I need a roof vent? Should I have one with no insulation in attic?

junkout is right, you need an air flow in the attic.

Soffit vents are a given, I didnt think I had to be that explicit. The original questions still stand.

ok but the fact is that ventilation is as important in the winter as it is in the summer your attic either needs to be conditioned space with the roof insulated or you need attic insulation and ventilation just gable vents might even be enough. but if you seal it up in the winter with no insulation the snow will melt at the top where the warm air is run down till it reached the cold edge of the roof and freeze again causing an ice dam.

Chaz,

I agree with junkout and dj1; your eventual goal before the snow flies is to update the knob & tube wiring & get some insulation blown into the floor of the attic; this will allow you to keep the attic space cold so no ice dams will form on the lower outside roof.

To alleviate the heat now, you can install a ridge vent to complement the soffit vents, or you can install gable vents on either or both gables; you'll spend a ton of money for AC if you don't.

Google "How to calculate and install attic ventilation part 1 Youtube" for a video by Iris Communications to get a rundown on how to calculate how much ventilation you need for your particular roof; also check out http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/vide...047003,00.html for a nice solar fan install by Tom Silva.
    Last edited by Dobbs; 07-09-2013 at 03:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by junkout View Post
    but if you seal it up in the winter with no insulation the snow will melt at the top where the warm air is run down till it reached the cold edge of the roof and freeze again causing an ice dam.
    Except no it wont because there haven't been vents or ice damns in over 100 years.

Again, as I said in my first post to start this thread "we have never had issues with ice dams, rot, or mildew" and there has never been any vents.

Quote Originally Posted by chaz7979 View Post
    Except no it wont because there haven't been vents or ice damns in over 100 years.

Again, as I said in my first post to start this thread "we have never had issues with ice dams, rot, or mildew" and there has never been any vents.
    Something has changed, though...

"The problem now is we have a modern roof with modern airtight materials..."

my thoughts exactly daspyda

Quote Originally Posted by daspyda View Post
    Something has changed, though...

"The problem now is we have a modern roof with modern airtight materials..."
    And have for over 30 years. Recently put on another new roof 5 years ago, still no ice dams or issues.

The only issue I have is that the attic is hot in the summer... really hot. I'm looking for a way to vent that heat in the summer but preserve what very little there is in the winter.

I was thinking maybe there was something like a vent that manually closes or works at a certain temperature but, I'm guessing by the responses that these things must not exist.
    Last edited by chaz7979; 06-06-2013 at 03:45 AM.