+ Reply to Thread

Default how long beterrn painting and cutting wood trim

I got my picture rail in and will get to painting it this weekend. I want to get the moulding cut and hung asap, but I know I need to at least let the paint dry, if not cure.

Any experience/guidelines on minimum wait time before I break out the mitre saw and start cutting some angles?

Conditions will be:

painting to be done in garage, hot humid environment, Houston TX ranging from 70 at night to 95 during day

moulding is already primed, so I only anticipate one coat of latex paint plus touch ups for screw holes and corners
    It's this old house, not this built after your dad was born house.

Default Re: how long beterrn painting and cutting wood trim

Quote Originally Posted by function View Post
    Conditions will be:

painting to be done in garage, hot humid environment, Houston TX ranging from 70 at night to 95 during day

moulding is already primed, so I only anticipate one coat of latex paint plus touch ups for screw holes and corners
    Humidity will affect drying time, I'd give it at least 3 or 4 hours if not 24 hours. Handle gently so as not to damage the painted surfaces.

Two coats of paint, ALWAYS two coats of paint! Follow the label directions for recoat times. Once installed, caulk and spackle as necessary, then you only have to touch up the spots.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Fine, two coats it is.

I might just give the paint a week to cure after the second coat to keep my butterfingers from causing trouble. Better a week than a month.
    It's this old house, not this built after your dad was born house.

Oil Based paint is usually about 3 to 4 hours, however latex paint drys from the outside in and takes about a week to cure. Only the surface is dried in 3 or 4 hours.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

I always spray paint my picture-hanging molding with rattle-cans, so I can prime and paint one day, install the next.
    Casey
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    Oil Based paint is usually about 3 to 4 hours, however latex paint drys from the outside in and takes about a week to cure. Only the surface is dried in 3 or 4 hours.

Jack
    True, however, I've used several different brands of paint over the last few weeks and every one of them say 4 hours between coats. I was not concerned about cure time, only recoat time, but again, you're right on with extended "cured" time as well.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

There is another approach: cut it to size primed, nail it and then paint it when you are not hurried.

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    There is another approach: cut it to size primed, nail it and then paint it when you are not hurried.
    You can absolutely do it this way, no doubt, but let's hope that there is no hurry at all with this method, painting in place will take 5x as long as painting prior to install. It's also a heck of a lot harder and more tedious to paint in place than on sawhorses in the garage.