+ Reply to Thread

Default Install railing on concrete deck

My house was built in 1955 and has a concrete deck off the back. I removed the old railing and am going to install a pressure treated railing. What is the best way to anchor the 4x4 posts?

Thanks

Default Re: Install railing on concrete deck

some of it is going to depend on length and shape of the railings. straight run only? straight run anchored to the house? straight run with an L on one end and the other end anchored to the house? how thick is the deck?

first thing that comes to mind is to drill holes in the deck then either cement or epoxy sections of metal (round) fence posts. then drill out the bottom of the 4x4 and secure with a through bolt drilled through the wood and fence post.

there's about 20 other options, i'll let some of the other members chime in with their ideas.....i have a few other ideas but i'd love to hear some i haven't thought of yet.

A more solid way is to cut a 9" square in the concrete slab (assuming it's on dirt), remove the broken concrete, dig down at least 18", pour new concrete and insert a Simpson 4x4 anchor in the concrete. Wait a couple of weeks and it will be ready for your railing post.

i was thinking something like that at first but he said a deck, which leads me to believe that the entire thing is off the ground.....if it was on the ground, wouldn't it be a patio?

Quote Originally Posted by MLB Construction View Post
    i was thinking something like that at first but he said a deck, which leads me to believe that the entire thing is off the ground.....if it was on the ground, wouldn't it be a patio?
    I know, MLB, that's why I added "assuming it's on dirt".

BTW MLB, if you need a source for wholesale plumbing, HVAC supplies send me a message. Why pay $11 for an angle stop?

I would suggest installing a ledger board on the concrete edge with lag bolts. Then, install posts in the ground and secured to the ledger board. Finish out your railing.

Paint the concrete and wood compatible colors for asthetics.