+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Unusual application of stucco... need advice!

My husband and I are looking into doing a remodel of our home at some point... hopefully sooner rather than later, but you know how it goes.

A little background on our house-- it's actually a pole shed that was converted into a house as it was being built, I believe. It was not originally intended to be a house, but the guy building it get divorced and needed a place to live, so turned it into a house. It has concrete floors on the lower story and is a story and a half. Our goal in remodeling would be to not only increase the living space (more bedrooms) but to make the exterior of the house more attractive, and, well, more like a house, and not a shed. We would also be building an attached garage with a basement below it (no basement under the house right now) and bedrooms above it.

We are trying to figure out what to do about siding for the house. We both like the look of stucco, and wonder if it would be possible to do stucco over the standing seam metal that sides our house. If it is possible, is it likely that we could find a contractor who would be willing to do it?

And is there anything else we need to know about doing this? We are quite inexperienced in building/remodeling, and know very little about stucco in particular!

Default Re: Unusual application of stucco... need advice!

The metal siding will need to be removed and the walls prepped for stucco. Depending on how they're framed, it may be as easy as installing wire lath and applying stucco, or could require sheathing before the lath.

Personal note, I am not a fan of the current methods of stucco, which involves a 1" layer of foam and barely a scratch coating of stucco over the surface. This method, while more energy efficient due to the foam insulation, is an extremely poor and delicate style of stucco, as the plaster is barely 1/8" thick, making it prone to cracking and impact damage from something as minor as walking by the corner of it. If it were my house, I would demand the old style of stucco that was 3/4"+ thick, this is a much more sound and durable surface.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    The metal siding will need to be removed and the walls prepped for stucco. Depending on how they're framed, it may be as easy as installing wire lath and applying stucco, or could require sheathing before the lath.

Personal note, I am not a fan of the current methods of stucco, which involves a 1" layer of foam and barely a scratch coating of stucco over the surface. This method, while more energy efficient due to the foam insulation, is an extremely poor and delicate style of stucco, as the plaster is barely 1/8" thick, making it prone to cracking and impact damage from something as minor as walking by the corner of it. If it were my house, I would demand the old style of stucco that was 3/4"+ thick, this is a much more sound and durable surface.
    Phooey. We were hoping to avoid removing the metal siding, because the metal is sprayed on the inside with spray insulation, which comes off when you remove the metal, of course, so we'd need to reinsulate. I figured that would probably be what we'd end up having to do, though!

Good to know about the old and new styles of stucco-- if we decide to do it, we'll definitely make sure the job is done right!

Where is your house?
    Are there any homes around you with stucco exterior?

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    Where is your house?
    Are there any homes around you with stucco exterior?
    Northern Indiana.

Off the top of my head, there is a house in the area that has portions of stucco, but it's not completely stucco. There's another house that I think has quite a bit of stucco, but I can't remember for sure.

There is a reason why stucco houses are so rare in your area: stucco won't stand the elements.

Stick to an exterior style that is popular in your area, most likely siding.

It should be possible to install furring strips and sheeting over the metal siding to allow for stucco installation. Not a big fan of stucco myself but there are a lot of homes with it in Ohio including northern Ohio.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    There is a reason why stucco houses are so rare in your area: stucco won't stand the elements.

Stick to an exterior style that is popular in your area, most likely siding.
    Really? What happens to it? I've never heard that about stucco.

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    It should be possible to install furring strips and sheeting over the metal siding to allow for stucco installation. Not a big fan of stucco myself but there are a lot of homes with it in Ohio including northern Ohio.

Jack
    Do you think so? It would sure be nice not to have to remove the existing siding, if we decided to do stucco.

How do the stucco homes in Ohio hold up to the weather, do you know? Northern Ohio has similar weather to what we have here.

Not sure about northern Ohio but have a friend with a 40 year old stuccoed house in Columbus, that has required no repairs.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

JnJm,

Moisture, from rain, humidity, ice and snow, damage stucco to the point of no return. The moisture is absorbed into the stucco rather easily, can create pockets between the stucco and the house, dissolve the stucco and separate it from the house. Don't believe it? please do your own research.

Another point: can you find 3 stucco contractors in your town to give you estimates? very unlikely.

Stucco exterior does better in dry climate.

However, don't let me stop you from getting stucco, if that's what you set your mind on.