+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: How to determine if old lap siding is salvegable

I'm not too concerned about the asbestos abatement cost and plan to either do it myself and dispose of it properly or pay a pro crew to do it. It's only about $1.50-$2.00 per square foot in this area for an approved crew to do it, and that includes permits and/or disposal. Given that we have some tax credit incentive, it's very reasonable.

We intend to move into the house eventually. The asbestos siding is coming off, it's just a question of when, and whether I can salvage the the siding underneath. I've done a lot of painting but I've never taken on anything like this.

Default Re: How to determine if old lap siding is salvegable

Vannakin
    I get what you're trying to do, as I have a similar situation with wood shingles over clapboards on my 1890's home. The problems I anticipate are that I will find not only claps riddled with nail holes from the shingles, but also large holes from where the house had blown in insulation installed, most likely just prior to being re-sided with shingles. But the other problem I expect to find is many layers of paint that have dried and cracked and that will have to be stripped. I have a tool set up specifically for stripping paint from clapboards at my disposal if need be.

My strategy is to assume that the old claps underneath will need to be completely replaced, and have a product picked out and budgeted for. If it turns out that the clapboards can be saved, even if a portion of them need replacement, then it will be a bonus. But the key to my success will be to hope for the best and plan (and budget) for the worst.