+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Porch Redo Help

Default Porch Redo Help

We need to rebuild our porch entirely and I need to find a good way to redo the porch floor. We don't love the look of our current porch anyway, so we are open to any ideas.

We currently have 3/4" plywood on the porch floor and when they stuccoed our house a long time ago, they ran the stucco right down to the plywood so we can't get anything thicker in the opening against the house.

I don't know what to use for a patio floor. We don't get much moisture the way it is, and I would assume the flooring has been there for at least 20 years. Some people have told me to use 3/4 outdoor plywood and soak it in linseed oil with a ton of coats on both sides. I have only seen Trex or alternatives that are way thicker than 3/4".

I didn't know if there are any great options for flooring and I don't know what is underneath the deck either. I would assume whatever framing is there will need replaced while we are at it.

http://brandonhorst.com/bhouse.jpg

For some reason I can't upload a picture, but any help would be appreciated!

Default Re: Porch Redo Help

You might consider PT yellow pine T&G porch flooring.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Agree...use planks and paint instead of plywood and green astroturf.

Be sure to mix in a little texture packet into the paint to prevent falls when the paint is wet.

Thanks! I will definitely look into that as I had not thought about tongue and groove instead of the plywood. It would look a lot nicer in the end. Our porch is only about 8x20.

My wife loves the green astro-turf though and might be sad to get rid of it

You know any good resources as far as the design of the posts and railings? We would like to redo those and make them look a lot better too.

houzz dot com is a great picture resource.

Check out Family Handyman on line, also.

A lot will depend on how much you want to spend. You might start by looking at the big box stores.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb