+ Reply to Thread

Default Pegboard over drywall

I want to split our shop area into two rooms by framing up a new wall. I plan to put pegboard on one side, and some sort of paneling in the other. Do I need to tape and sand the drywall that will be underneath, or can I just apply the paneling to it as is? I'm not concerned about cosmetics.

Default Re: Pegboard over drywall

Pegboard hooks need space behind the boards, so if you have drywall behind, it won't work.

To meet fire code the drywall will need to be taped and muddied, however it will not need to be sanded. You will need to install spacer for the peg board.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Tape and mudding I don't mind. Good to know I can avoid sanding! and yeah, I know about the spacers. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    To meet fire code the drywall will need to be taped and muddied, however it will not need to be sanded. You will need to install spacer for the peg board.

Jack
    That only applies when the space abuts living space, a divider wall within the garage/shop would not be an issue. How many garage walls do you ever see drywalled unless it's a common wall with living space? In these parts, it's unheard of, unless you're a freak like me who likes the clean and finished look of a finished garage.

Quote Originally Posted by queen60 View Post
    Tape and mudding I don't mind. Good to know I can avoid sanding! and yeah, I know about the spacers. Thanks!
    You could pegboard one side of the framing and drywall or panel (plywood is best for a shop wall ) the other. This would keep light from passing through the wall, improving aesthetics.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

A.Spruce, the OP didn't say it was a garage, he said shop.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

True enough, though I would still question the necessity of a firewall within the structure, especially if the new space won't be completely sealed off from the rest of the space.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

There's also that matter that your "name" will be on it. Sixteen years from now, will you be proud when people say "queen60 built that wall?"

However you do it, use your best craftsmanship.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.