+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paint Prices

Default Paint Prices

In the corner shopping center near me there was a vacancy for a long time. Finally there was some remodeling going on, then a sign came on: "Welcome A New Sherwin-Williams Paint Store". The new store opened up in no time.

I've been buying "Color Place" paints for years. They are sold at Wal Mart, and made by...you guessed it, Sherwin-Williams.

Now, I've neen painting mostly rental homes for years, so quality of paint is not a priority. What's more important is the price, and Color Place paints have been all under $15 a gallon. Why? because tenants are all the same.

So when this new store opened, I went in to see. And what I saw was gallons sell for $40 to $76. Ridiculous. Higher than Dunn Edwards.

For lumber I don't hesitate using a lumber yard, but for paint, I won't pay $76 for a gallon of paint at a store like this. What do you think?

Default Re: Paint Prices

Dj,

I would have to agree with you that the major brand prices are approaching the ridiculous. Once premium acrylic resins and titanium dioxide pigments are utilized, further price increases get harder to justify. Throw in some fungicide for a couple bucks more and you get quality paint in the $20 to $35 dollar range for interior paints and slightly more for exterior. Glossier paints cost a little more due to the costs of finer milling of the pigment ( one of the ways paint in made glossier).

I would also point out that paint manufacturers don't generally produce their own resins, They are purchaced from a couple old line manufacturers, Rohn and Hass being one of the primary.

Your low priced Walmart paints lack all the above attributes, but as you say, there is such a thing a "good enough" for some purposes. If you don't care about washability and scuff resistance, the low price stuff will suffice. Ironically, some of that "contractors" paint has an attribute that builders love - its dead flat finish allows infinite touch-ups to be made in the middle of a wall without showing.

When Consumers Reports put out its ratings, it is clear that price alone is not the sole determinant of quality. Consumers' "Best Buy" ratings also acknowledge that there is such a thing as value. The Best Buy named may not be the overall top ranking paint , but it represents a very good buy for the money.

I just paid $32 a gallon (with contractor's discount) for Kelly Moore. The "cheap" paint at Evil Orange was the same or more. What shocked me even more was the big box price of primer, Zinnser 123 was nearly $20 a gallon, but a 2 gallon pail was merely $30. Heck, when did mineral spirits get to $15 a gallon?
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    I've been buying "Color Place" paints for years. They are sold at Wal Mart, and made by...you guessed it, Sherwin-Williams.

Now, I've neen painting mostly rental homes for years, so quality of paint is not a priority. What's more important is the price, and Color Place paints have been all under $15 a gallon. Why? because tenants are all the same.

So when this new store opened, I went in to see. And what I saw was gallons sell for $40 to $76. Ridiculous. Higher than Dunn Edwards.
    You are someone who value a $400 Toto toilet over a $99 one at big boxes, and a $300 Delta faucet (mostly made in the US) over the $85 one in big boxes (made overseas and can't stand up to floor sample use). You also argue not to skimp on cheap components when labor/installation & product failure (damage) are most costly.

You know that S-W makes pennies on the Pace brand, and calibrate down the ingredients to the $15 price point. This may be a case of 50% lower cost for only a 20% reduction in "quality." (Once, I worked for a SanFran company which makes $40 and $25 jeans -- the sewing cost is about $2 different but the wholesale price is about $10 and both last just as long. And you know automakers make $7,000 on a medium-big SUV/pickup and, what, about $300 on a compact sedan.) Howowners will say they use S-W paint, but they won't boast about paint they bought at Walmart.

It's funny how we define value & quality -- that's why there are Delta & Moen (and Philippe Starck) buyers, and others buy Hampton Bay whatever, and there are Camry, Lexus, and BMW buyers.

My experience is that I can make good decisions about a product (price/performance/longevity), but professional labor is hit or miss --- high prices means you have recourse, but not assured of quality work.

Perhaps it is time to reinvent White Wash.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

this past winter i had to buy two gallons of pain from sherwin williams per a customers request. she asked me how much it would be, i said "probably about $25-$30 a gallon. i paid between $55-$60 a gallon.....INSANE.

i won't be going there ever again, unless a customer is paying whatever is costs

I prefer ben moore over Sherwin Williams not much better price but I like the paint better. But I do use Sherwin Williams for their stain and clear finishes there price isn't much higher than others and it is much better quality.

One time I went to a Sherwin-Williams store to get matching paint per customer request.

There were no customers at the store at 8am, and the color mixing person told me that my order will be ready at 10am.

I told him to mix it and that I'll pay for it when I pick it up, then I went down the street to HD (sorry Spruce), and had my paint matched and mixed in 15 minutes. I never went back to that SW store that day.

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    I told him to mix it and that I'll pay for it when I pick it up, then I went down the street to HD (sorry Spruce), and had my paint matched and mixed in 15 minutes. I never went back to that SW store that day.
    So you're the guy responsible for sales on color-made paint all over SoCal.

Quote Originally Posted by t_manero View Post
    So you're the guy responsible for sales on color-made paint all over SoCal.
    Yes I'm responsible, but I'm not the only one.