+ Reply to Thread

Question Can steel studs be used to support bookshelves?

I'm planning a library in my basement with built-in shelving and I was wondering if steel studs can be used to support the shelving. If yes, how do you anchor the the shelves to the studs? I'm looking at about 18 linear feet of shelving running floor to ceiling.

Default Re: Can steel studs be used to support bookshelves?

before you drywall sheet the wall with 3/4 " exterior grade plywood first. then drywall on top of that. it will provide solid nailing anywhere on the wall and it wil hold a screw much better than light gauge steel studs
    fire up the saw and make some dust

The poster is building a "library" with 18 feet span (5-6 shelves, floor-to-ceiling ??). Shouldn't the shelves attach to vertical side panels like a bookcase instead of to the wall, spaced out for either dense packed books or partial fill ??

My gut feeling, without knowing the weight of the shelves and the books: it won't fly. Are you planning a rolling ladder too?

You will need to remove the existing drywall, if you have drywall, install new studs or better yet, 4x4s to which the vertical members of the library will be attached to, then re-drywall.

Or, do what jkirk recommended.