+ Reply to Thread

Default porch roof support ??

how wide can a porch roof support extend away from the wall without porch posts? i am thinking of a porch to cover my 32" side door that extends out maybe 4' and i want to do a diagonal support instead of a ground supported post. thanks

Default Re: porch roof support ??

If one were building new, it could be engineered to be any depth. You would cantilever the support out from the ceiling line.
    Old train depots used to have cantilevered and suspended shed roofs for boarding the cars, These were supported by large timber brackets and steel truss rods.
    The one pictured is simply bolted into the wall framing which was beefed up with 4x6 posts to take the torque.
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.

If you want a shed style or gable style awning, 4' deep will be no problem, if supported correctly. Just make sure to seal where it meets the house to prevent leaks.

BTW, sombreuil, what color are your exterior tiles? They really look good!

the photo is exactly what i want. i suppose i will need brackets or possible make my own....

It's a sage color from SW, can't recall the exact name.
    I built those brackets from the architect's drawing. For the curve I used two pattern-following router bits, one with the bearing at the top, following the masonite pattern, the second one with the bearing at the bottom, following the previously routed side; the brackets were 4" thick stock, and no single router bit had a cutting blade that wide. Then the curves were cleaned up with a cabinet sc****r. I also used pegged mortise and tenon joints for the intersections. Fun project for a nice house and great people.
    Casey
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.