+ Reply to Thread

Post Porch Light mystery

Hello,

I have a stubborn porch light in the home I just purchased. I have to "pump" the light switch (back and forth: on and off) several times before the light itself will turn on. I thought this had to be caused by a worn out switch that was not properly making a connection and completing the circuit, so I replaced the switch. Much to my dismay, I discovered upon changing the switch that I still have this problem.

My next step in seeking out the source of the problem was going to be removing the light fixture itself to test for proper connection, but I thought I'd ask the TOH community first, in an effort to help set me on the right path of diagnosing and correcting this problem. Has anyone out there experienced something like this before? And if so, how was it solved?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
    Derek

Default Re: Porch Light mystery

Some lights that have a motion sensor/heat sensor are also designed to have a different function if you use the switch a number of times.

Ex: switch on - light is motion sensor only
    swicth on, switch off, switch on (within 5 sec)- light on full time
    It's this old house, not this built after your dad was born house.

Quote Originally Posted by function View Post
    Some lights that have a motion sensor/heat sensor are also designed to have a different function if you use the switch a number of times.

Ex: switch on - light is motion sensor only
    swicth on, switch off, switch on (within 5 sec)- light on full time
    It probably would've been more helpful for you to ask if this light has a heat/motion sensor (which it doesn't), rather than assume that's what I'm dealing with here. The number of flicks of the switch is never a set number of times before I can get the light to come on.

House was built before your FATHER's FATHER was born. 1893. That old enough for you?
    Last edited by Phasedrifter; 05-31-2013 at 12:32 PM.

what type of light fixture/bulb is it? is it flourescent?

MLB ask the same question that I would ask. Start failures with CFL's is common.

By the way my father's father was born before 1893.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

The folks who responded were trying to help you. If you would have provided more information in you original post, they would have had different answers and no questions.

BTW, their answers and questions were perfectly legitimate.
    Good Luck from Columbiana, Alabama
    Maurice Turgeon, Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by The Semi-Retired Electric View Post
    The folks who responded were trying to help you. If you would have provided more information in you original post, they would have had different answers and no questions.

BTW, their answers and questions were perfectly legitimate.

Thank you. I never said that my original post was crystal clear and included all necessary details. Nor did I insist that any additional questions shouldn't be required.

The issue was, in fact, as simple as the CFL bulb. Thank you to all for your help in solving the problem. Case closed!