+ Reply to Thread

Default Re-wiring Lamp- what type of wire connectors to use? Or solder?

Hi there. I have a beautiful old anglepoise lamp and recently the on/off push button switch stopped working. I ordered a new switch on ebay and installed it. The wiring seems to be in decent shape all except for one spot where the wires from the bulb socket and the switch connect to the wiring that comes from the plug, through the lamp and up to the shade. There are four wires and they connect through a bizarre little "h" connector that sort of looks like a lego brick. The connector is in rough shape and seems to have even melted slightly. You can view an image here-

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-9A7WFWQS1j.../connector.jpg

Does anyone know what this connector is and if or where I could find a replacement?

And otherwise,

Does anyone have a suggestion for what I could replace this connector with? Could I simply solder the wires together?

Thanks for the advice.

-chris

Default Re: Re-wiring Lamp- what type of wire connectors to use? Or solder?

Wire nuts could be used if you have the space, soldered an properly insulated, or another option would be an Alumiconn connector you can get a free sample here http://www.alcopstore.com/alumiconn-sample/ or pick one up at an electric supply.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by cboyne View Post
    Does anyone know what this connector is and if or where I could find a replacement?
    It's a "Euro Style" connector block. Available at Home Depot.

Note that what Home Depot has is bigger than yours, but they can be cut down.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

The "H" style connector should be replaced by a wire nut, if you have room to do so.

Good electrical practice does not allow an electrical connection that relies "solely" on solder. This means the wires must be twisted so they hold together before solder is applied, then insulated with good electrical tape.

Soldering takes a lot of practice and the best connections are made if the solder (tin-lead rosin core) is applied to the heated connection, never to the iron.

If the connection to the lamp shell (aluminum) is loose it must be replaced, since aluminum can't be soldered.
    Good Luck from Columbiana, Alabama
    Maurice Turgeon, Hidden Content