I'm the owner of a 200 year old home with lime cinder brick foundation that originally was dirt or brick floor, but previous owner poured concrete long ago. Seepage occurs during heavy rains especially along where footing should be and in walls as well.

At some point, the previous owner applied drylock to one interior wall which caused the lime mortar and bricks to dissolve in places because they were unable to dry. The other walls are finished with a bright white finish stained by minerals in places. I am seeking to limewash entire interior foundation to prevent further damage to mortar, but I am unsure if the white finish currently on it is latex paint or many previous coats of whitewash. Is there an easy way to tell ???

Also, I will attempt to remove as much of the drylock (easy, it's peeling) and latex (if it is latex) before I whitewash, but if there is some areas left, is there harm in whitewashing over it?

And I've worked to improve drainage, but short of a new foundation, it's always gonna be wet, it was built to withstand some moisture, I just want to make sure the damage the former owner did is mitigated so I can get another 100 years.