+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default Lime wash vs acrylic identification

I'm the owner of a 200 year old home with lime cinder brick foundation that originally was dirt or brick floor, but previous owner poured concrete long ago. Seepage occurs during heavy rains especially along where footing should be and in walls as well.

At some point, the previous owner applied drylock to one interior wall which caused the lime mortar and bricks to dissolve in places because they were unable to dry. The other walls are finished with a bright white finish stained by minerals in places. I am seeking to limewash entire interior foundation to prevent further damage to mortar, but I am unsure if the white finish currently on it is latex paint or many previous coats of whitewash. Is there an easy way to tell ???

Also, I will attempt to remove as much of the drylock (easy, it's peeling) and latex (if it is latex) before I whitewash, but if there is some areas left, is there harm in whitewashing over it?

And I've worked to improve drainage, but short of a new foundation, it's always gonna be wet, it was built to withstand some moisture, I just want to make sure the damage the former owner did is mitigated so I can get another 100 years.

Default Re: Lime wash vs acrylic identification

To remove lime wash you will only need a scrub brush and warm water and most of the lime wash will come off the surface of the block.
    Drylock / latex will not adhere very well to these products.
    Also Lime washes will not adhere to Drylock or paints.
    You can fine good lime washes pre made at the following.
    Virginia Lime Works , Keim coatings , Edison Coatings or San Marko USA.
    Also you may want to check with the manufactors about the Lime Paints some may woprk over the existion block?

Denatured alcohol, acetone, lacquer thinner and ammonia will disturb/dissolve acrylic paint but have little or no effect on mineral paint.
    Casey
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.

Thanks much!

If it is latex, what is the easiest way to get much of it off? I'll limewash the bare areas as I can clean them off I guess.