+ Reply to Thread

Thread: peeling paint

Default peeling paint

I have a new home (2001) in new england. the walls are all blue board with plaster. In only one bathroom, the paint refuses to stick only to the areas that may have had joint compound used like the seems between ceiling and wall, and covering screw holes. I have scrapped, sealed with primer, rescrapped and sealed with shellac, painted with no primer or sealer. To no avail, the paint and whatever under coat peel off in one layer after 6 months or so. It is the area right over the shower, so it is definately moisture related. Any idea how to make the paint stick?

Default Re: peeling paint

Ross,

Sounds like you have been doing the right kind of things.
    I assume that a house of such age has power vent. I also assume that you probably steam the bath up regularly. You might consider converting to an oil enamel in this area. Oil paints are much more impervious to moisture than are acrylic paints. If this is an outside wall, it is also possible that you have a cold spot causing more condensation in this area. All the more reason to try to protect the wall from moisture with an oil paint.

you might also try drylock paint.

"drylock paint" ... ?

Quote Originally Posted by lorilori View Post
    "drylock paint" ... ?
    Drylok is an elastomeric paint that is used to waterproof the interior of masonry basement walls.

http://www.ugl.com/drylokMasonry/mas...ofer/index.php
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Yep, Drylok would be useless here!!!
    It's ONLY for applying on cleaned cement with no existing finishes.

As Ordjen states, consider the insulation quality in this area. What's BEHIND the wall/ceiling can be important too.

>>> Do you have an operable bath-fan in there????

"Walls are blueboard with plaster..."
    Is there ACTUAL plaster involved here...OR do you mean "Joint Compound". Many plasters need a month or more to cure-out before priming/painting.

Also...is the actual Blueboard exposed when the layers peel??

Faron