+ Reply to Thread

Default Severly crooked door frame/warped door

I'm in the process of buying an un-updated home (besides electrical wiring) which needs a lot of work and repair and one of the major issues I will eventually have to fix is the door going from the living room to the sunroom. The door frame is severely visibly crooked and the door is warped from being forced into the crooked frame and no longer closes properly. Due to out of date plumbing and a large pine tree threatening the house's foundations, I won't have the money to replace the door/frame right now. I was wondering if there was a more affordable way of temporarily making the door shut and if it is at all possible to fix the door frame, rather than replace that along with the door?

Default Re: Severly crooked door frame/warped door

When buying a fixer upper, investors better have money to invest on necessary repairs. Not a ton of money, just enough to do things right.

Without seeing the door it's hard to say, but it sounds like it was repaired a few times. I think that you're looking at replacement, if you want the best results.

Trim and sand the door to fit.

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    When buying a fixer upper, investors better have money to invest on necessary repairs. Not a ton of money, just enough to do things right.

Without seeing the door it's hard to say, but it sounds like it was repaired a few times. I think that you're looking at replacement, if you want the best results.
    I originally had enough money to get it started (plumbing work, driveway, windows and doors, interior/exterior painting, etc.) but then I found a part of the house where the roots of an impossibly large pine tree are growing very close to the foundation and I'd also need several roots removed to install a driveway (there is none currently) and per expert opinion, cutting that many roots would most likely kill the tree. Full removal will cost me upwards of $5,000 which is about a third of my start-up budget.

I tried uploading a picture, but it wasn't cooperating. I am planning on eventually replacing it anyway, so I might just leave it until I can get enough money to replace rather than attempting to fix it temporarily.

There are always unexpected surprises - you can count on that. That's why I recommended to have money ready.

I've seen too many ambitious projects start and run out of money before they could be finished. What happened next was ugly: most materials deteriorated fast because they were not covered, causing big financial losses.