+ Reply to Thread

Default Baseboard Heating Convection Floor Spacing

I am getting ready to remodel my bathroom and have a few questions. I have baseboard convection heating units that are heated through my boiler. I would like to pull out the linoleum that is currently in there and put in marble tiles. This is going to change the spacing between the floor and the bottom of the convection units. There is a little bit of play in one of the pipes coming from the boiler, but the other pipe is solid and not moving at all. A contractor told me that space is required to stay the same. Is this true? It would change by half an inch at the most. If I did want to break into the system and cap off the pipe and remove the baseboard unit, is this something I can do myself or do I have to hire a professional? What are my options. Thank you.

Default Re: Baseboard Heating Convection Floor Spacing

Your contractor is correct, the space should stay the same or you will restrict the convection. That being said unless the bathroom is extremely large or you are closing the space under the baseboard to less the half of what it is know I doubt you will see much difference in temperature. I have seen carpet installed without raising the baseboard and it still heated.
    John

Default Re: Baseboard Heating Convection Floor Spacing

For the most part, I agree with John.

If you can avoid having to break into the heating system pipes on the baseboard, it would be much less of a headache than trying to deal with modifications to the heating system----this would require you to have knowledge of how to shut off the heating system water supply & temporarily shut down the heating system while you cut & cap the supply/return pipes attached to the baseboard.

Try removing the linoleum around the pipes first to get to the bare floor/sub-floor---you may be able to CAREFULLY chip away at the surrounding area around the pipe that is not moving to get some additional vertical play if you have to raise the baseboard element---there should be at least 1/2" (preferably 1" to 1 1/2" is ideal) clearance between the new floor and the new position of the bottom of the baseboard when the project is completed; this is so cold air can convectively enter the lower part of the baseboard at the floor, be heated by the baseboard element, & be expelled by air convection from the top part of the baseboard.

Can you tell us if in past winters the bathroom has been comfortably warm enough to satisfy the family members when they use the bathroom, or step out of a shower---if not , then this is a separate issue that perhaps should be addressed by you consulting a heating contractor who can measure the heat output of the existing baseboard and measure the square footage of the bathroom to determine if you have sufficient heat in the bathroom.
    Last edited by Dobbs; 05-17-2013 at 05:42 PM.