+ Reply to Thread

Default concrete block columns and metal posts

I am in the process of preparing my basement for some plumbing work, which requires a non-load-bearing wall be built. The existing support for the house consists of 2 concrete block columns and 2 adjacent metal posts, which carry a built-up beam running from the front wall to an interior load-bearing wall near the rear. The posts are right beside the columns and are neither screwed into the concrete floor nor the beam above, although they are not removable without loosening. This involves the wall because it is to be built exactly where one post is located.

I was advised by my home inspector that the metal posts could be removed because of the existing columns, or, that they be strapped to the columns. I'm looking for another opinion on this advice.

Mike

Default Re: concrete block columns and metal posts

a home inspector, and i am one myself, cannot tell you it's ok to remove any type of structural support. if you did remove them and you have an issue then you could sue him, and that's why he's not allowed to tell you that.

they were probably put there for a reason and if you don't know what it is, i would recommend getting a good contractor or structural engineer in to determine why they are there and if they can safely be removed.

To find out if you can do that, you need the advice of a qualified person, such as a structural engineer. If a home inspector expresses his opinion, that's fine, but never rely on his opinion on matters that are beyond his qualifications.

Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it.

I had already removed one of the posts before posting here, but I'm in the process of finding a structural engineer to make a visit. Luckily, my wife's worrying has made me pause and figure this issue out. Hopefully, this doesn't end up being a huge problem.

By the way, approximately how much would a consultative visit from an engineer cost? I'm thinking about $100 to $200 for a look only, without drawings being prepared.

Cheers,
    Mike