+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Need tips for getting ledger level and at right height

Yup, a long piece of tubing, a water vessel at one end and a stick on the other. You fix the water vessel and move the stick end around your site, the water level in the tube will correspond to changes in the grade. The tubing must be clear, at least on the stick end so you can see the water level.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

This idea seems good -- http://www.factsfacts.com/MyHomeRepair/WaterLevel.htm -- the reservoir idea seems to make it better than just a tube alone. This would be ideal for what I need.

Yes, you need a reservoir, as this will give the water a place to advance/retreat from as you move the free end around. You could do without one, but that would be far more difficult and probably produce inaccurate results due to loss of water or inability for water to move.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

..bought 100' of 3/8" ID tubing for $30. We "calibrated" by adding/removing water from the 5 gallon bucket reservoir to put the water level at the other end of the tube right at the desired point. Then we marked the other locations by just letting the water level settle to it's resting place. Very slick. You can route the tubing any way you want.. and even "tip" it sideways to lay it right up against the point you are marking. We found siphoning from the bucket removed all air bubbles easily. I just liked the simplicity of our "calibration" step because it means the opposite end water level is always were the reference point is -- not a 2nd mark.
    Last edited by coloradotrout; 05-28-2013 at 02:03 AM.

Make sure you mark your water level in your reservoir accurately so that you can add water as necessary due to evaporation. A bucket left in the sun for even a day will have a noticeable drop in water level, let alone if you spill or allow water out of your "measuring" end of the level.

The "calibration" was done with the non-bucket end. I added water to the bucket -- but only such that the level on the other end in the tube aligned with my reference mark (in my case, down 3/4" from the door threshold). So now after some weeks and even moving the bucket, I can go back, sit the bucket, and add water until the open tube-end reaches the reference mark.

Perfect!

Yeah.. thanks to whoever posted the "water level" idea. It's a very low cost way to layout decks, etc where perfectly level or +/- measurements from a reference point are desired. Although storing the 100' of tubing is harder than a laser ;-)

That would have been me. You're welcome.

I agree, storing the tubing is much harder than a lazer level, and not as much fun to use, but ya gotta do what ya gotta do sometimes.

The laser would not have worked well in my case -- wrap around porch. And at 1/10th the cost or maybe 1/20th, the water level is brilliant.