+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Need tips for getting ledger level and at right height

I don't have a rotary laser as they used here -- http://www.finehomebuilding.com/how-...ck-layout.aspx -- so what are some tips n tricks I can use to get a level ledger that sits at the right height such that my front door threshold sits right on the final flooring?

Default Re: Need tips for getting ledger level and at right height

So rent one.

Another option would be to use a water level, relatively inexpensive to assemble, just as accurate.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by coloradotrout View Post
    I don't have a rotary laser as they used here -- http://www.finehomebuilding.com/how-...ck-layout.aspx -- so what are some tips n tricks I can use to get a level ledger that sits at the right height such that my front door threshold sits right on the final flooring?
    Could this be sufficient -- http://www.johnsonlevel.com/productD...s&ID=17&pID=38 ? It's $70.

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    So rent one.
    I get a few hours here and there to work on the project, and the nearest rental place is 45 miles away. Might that low priced Skill or Johnson be adequate? I could use it to set the ledger and also my post for the rim joists. Looks slick - but I'm guessing there are old tricks that make this easy as well.

I am not familiar with those products to offer an opinion. What I would recommend is to look for real world reviews of them before making your purchase.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Do what carpenters did before the laser level was invented, put a regular level on a 2x4.

regular level on a 2x4 is what i sometimes do.....if not, just buy or make a water level. it's at least as accurate as a laser or regular level if not more so and it's a piece of cake to use.

In that video, the laser did make easy work of setting the ledger -- and then also cutting the seat notch in the post. But I have shrubs around the porch, so it may not work in my case anyway.

that's the beauty of a water level, you can wrap it 3 times around a bush, around your entire house and end up with a level line 12" from where you started.

Just a long piece of tube correct? I'll google it.