+ Reply to Thread

Default How not to damage the pipe

I need to installed and shower head pipe that has a brushed nickel surface and I don't know how to do it so the surface isn't torn up using a pipe wrench. Any suggestions would be very helpful.

Default Re: How not to damage the pipe

They make strap wrenches with rubber and cloth straps. Ask at your plumbing supply or google it.

You can always try taping the wrench or the decorative extension, but I personally have had the poor results you are trying to avoid when just taping.
    It's this old house, not this built after your dad was born house.

Function gave you good tips.
    Some new pipes have slots to fit an adjustable wrench and to make unscrewing an easy and damage free task. Check yours, being brushed nickel, there is a good chance it has them.

Quote Originally Posted by function View Post
    They make strap wrenches with rubber and cloth straps. Ask at your plumbing supply or google it.

You can always try taping the wrench or the decorative extension, but I personally have had the poor results you are trying to avoid when just taping.

Thanks for the tip. The tape idea was something I didn't think of and will give it a try. I do have a strap wrench but it seems to slip when I really tightening the pipe.
    Last edited by browning30; 05-21-2013 at 10:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by browning30 View Post
    Thanks for the tip. The tape idea was something I did think of and will give it a try. I do have a strap wrench but it seems to slip when I really tightening the pipe.
    Just don't curse me when if/when the teeth bite through the tape and leave a mark
    It's this old house, not this built after your dad was born house.

Quote Originally Posted by function View Post
    Just don't curse me when if/when the teeth bite through the tape and leave a mark
    I did it last night and it worked fine. I put duct tape on the pipe wrench teeth AND wrapped some around the pipe. Tightened it by hand as much as I could then used the wrench for that last little bit and it came out perfect. The tape didn't leave any residue on the pipe.

I consider it a victory since I only ruined one pipe before I tried this. Thanks for the advise.