+ Reply to Thread

Default Polybbutylene piping

Has anyone experienced problems with this type of pipes, my son is looking at a house in NC and this seems to be popular in homes built between 1992- 1997 there are claims of a lawsuit regarding this type of plumbing. This house was built in 1997. Any feedback would be appreciated

Default Re: Polybbutylene piping

These pipes, which were kind of popular in the south, are junk.

If he likes the house he can negotiate to purchase it with a re-pipe allowance, where the seller will pay for a new piping system. Tell him to choose TYPE L COPPER.

My experience with PB pipe is that most of the problems came from plastic fittings with aluminum crimp rings. In fact I have PB in my own home which is 18 years old with no problems. But I used copper fittings and copper crimp rings. In my area homes are built slab on grade and the water pipes are under the slab. We also see pinhole leaks in copper tubing under the slab in as little as 10 years.
    John

jiohnh2o is correct, there was little problems with the piping but massive failures of the fillings that lead to law suites .

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb