+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Restor

Default Restor

Hello Team,

I have salvaged about 650 linear feet of old beams that I would like to sand and prep and post on my new homes walls. I am going for an effect similar to this: http://pinterest.com/pin/353321533236150872/

These boards have been attic beams for over 100 years. They are approximately 8 inches tall by two inches wide and are nice and dry on the inside while old and dark on the outside. Their lengths vary from 5ft to 11ft.

I would like to cut them all down to 1 inch thickness and then sand them down. I am a NEWBIE and don't really know how to do this. I can call around mills but I know it will cost me a decent penny so while I have some vacation time, I don't mind going at it.

What do I need to buy in order to do this? 1) Cut in half (from 2 inches to 1 inch thick) 2) sand them down 3) "preserve them" other then polyurethane?

Thanks for any and all advice. If there are particular machines I will need to buy please make suggestions.

Default Re: Restor

A good band saw would be my choice, but it can be done with good hand saw if you know what you are doing.

You can finish with Danish Oil or shellac.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

What is your goal here, to make old wood look new or to retain the character and patina of the old wood? If you saw it in half, are you going to display the the newly cut sides or the old sides?

Cutting 650' of 8" wide board by hand is going to take a lot of vacation time. A band saw would be the best, but how often will you use it after you get this project done. Paying a shop to cut it for you could be the best economic choice. You could sand the surfaces with an orbital sander or a belt sander by hand or get a surface sander. The surface sander would be the fastest, but most expensive. An orbital sander would probably be the best for you.

If the wood might be harboring borers or insects, you should treat it with a sodium borate treatment before finishing. Timbor or Boracare are two good products. Boracare is more expensive but easier to use.

What species of wood is this? If it is a desirable species and you don't need all of it for your project, you might find a local amateur wood worker with the proper tools who would be interested in a trade of some sort.

Quote Originally Posted by keith3267 View Post
    Cutting 650' of 8" wide board by hand is going to take a lot of vacation time. A band saw would be the best, but how often will you use it after you get this project done. Paying a shop to cut it for you could be the best economic choice. You could sand the surfaces with an orbital sander or a belt sander by hand or get a surface sander. The surface sander would be the fastest, but most expensive. An orbital sander would probably be the best for you.
    Your average bandsaw isn't going to cut it - literally and figuratively, you need an industrial bandsaw that will have the power and capacity for that material. It will be best to take it to a shop and have them resaw it for you. While you're there, they can either plane it smooth or run it through a sander if you want a fairly smooth finish.

The type of finish will depend on what you ultimately want to do.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Buy this, get a new carbide blade, do your work, resell it for probably what you paid.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNvMrliPhZU
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.