+ Reply to Thread

Default Replacement drum trap cover?

I have a drum trap/cleanout in the floor of my 1929-30 house in Baltimore, and I'd like to replace the cover with something a little better looking than the original. A neighbor has one with a flange around it that covers up the raw edges of the tile around the trap, but they didn't buy it, the previous owners did, so they don't know where it came from. My cover has the number 3 on it, but it does not measure exactly 3 inches across - more like 3 1/8 on the inside of the threads in the cover, and more like 3 1/4 outside dimensions when it's screwed down to the floor. Is this a standard 3 inch size? It also has some other numbers on it, 25 628. Is this one of those things that is nonstandard and impossible to replace? Thanks for any expertise on this thing!

Default Re: Replacement drum trap cover?

If the home is as old as you say chances are the drum trap is made of lead. I wouldn't try removing the plug. As far as the size of the plug it is 3". I would leave well enough alone. Unless you're prepared to replace the trap along with some pipe which for sure is also lead.
    John

Default Re: Replacement drum trap cover?

Quote Originally Posted by johnjh2o View Post
    If the home is as old as you say chances are the drum trap is made of lead. I wouldn't try removing the plug. As far as the size of the plug it is 3". I would leave well enough alone. Unless you're prepared to replace the trap along with some pipe which for sure is also lead.
    Thanks - I can get it out fine with my big pipe wrench to clean the soap gunk out of the trap - it's brass, and I think it's fine threaded. I was just hoping to replace it with something with a lip so that it will hide the raw edges of the tile - I never thought of this until I saw the one my neighbor had. I know the right thing to do is pull it out and replace all the piping but that involves tearing out my downstairs ceiling which I'm so not ready for!