+ Reply to Thread

Default electric composit deck

i have a new composit deck,there is a lot of static electricity when on it or leaving it ,how do i fix this .

Default Re: electric composit deck

Wear footwear.

i know nothing about this except.....it appears that when it's very dry outside, low humidity, that the static electricity is a lot worse. when it gets humid out the problem seems to disappear. if you go out on the deck with just socks on and it's dry out, then you'll get your biggest zap.

don't ask me why, maybe one of the electricians on here can answer it. maybe it's a question for a science forum. if you do find out why, please let us know.

Quote Originally Posted by MLB Construction View Post
    don't ask me why, maybe one of the electricians on here can answer it. maybe it's a question for a science forum. if you do find out why, please let us know.
    Plastic generates static electricity merely by having air pass over it, since composite decking is mostly recycled plastics, therein lies the source of your static problem. You can reduce the problem somewhat by grounding the deck, but this will only minimally help to reduce the charge. The easiest thing would be to give the deck a very light spritzing of water, which will eliminate the static charge completely for the duration that the moisture is present.

Moisture is also why you notice more static on dry days than on humid days.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!