+ Reply to Thread

Default Raising the corner of a sunroom

Not sure if this is the correct category for this, so if it needs to be moved let me know. I have a walk-out ranch style home in the Kansas City area. The basement opens directly to the back yard. On the rear corner of the main floor overlooking the backyard, I have a 10x12 sunroom over a void area (open, used for storage). The outer corner of the sunroom is supported by an 8 inch wood post which rests on its own footing in the back yard. The sunroom is wood frame construction, tile floor, with a textured hardboard siding. The roof is concrete tile. Old aerial photos show the home with a shake roof. The concrete roof was installed 13 years ago. The outer corner of the sunroom has sagged about an inch and a half, so the screen door no longer fits and the window frames (basic storm windows only) are separating from the glass because the frames are no longer square. I suspect that the corner has sunk because the footing in the support post is insufficient (1 foot square) coupled with the added load of the concrete tile roof that wasn’t accounted for by the prior owner. I need to raise the corner of the sunroom slowly until it is level, then either replace the wood post with a metal post or use the existing post, and pour a more substantial footing to support it. My thought was to use two metal 5-ton screw jacks to slowly raise the corner over a couple of weeks, then pour an 8 inch thick 24x24 reinforced footing, then reinstall the post. Subsequently I want to enclose the void area for a shed to store mowers, bikes, etc. I suspect the project may require a building permit, but I haven’t gotten beyond conceptual plans yet. Any feedback or suggestions on the proposed plan? Anyone ever done anything like this?

Thanks

Default Re: Raising the corner of a sunroom

let's start with you calling the building inspector and asking what the proper footing depth/width is for your deck. it varies all around the country so you're area is probably different than mine.

Basic question, but have you checked to see if the deck is sagging or just the roof?
    As mentioned above check with your local building dept, in this area a footer needs to be at least 48" deep to prevent frost heave.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Thanks for the input. I'll check the proper footing. Its a sunroom, not a deck, fully enclosed, regular joists with 3/4 plywood floor with tile. You couldn't tell it was a sunroom (looks like part of the house) except its not heated/cooled and the windows are just sash type storms, not regular windows. The whole thing is sagging at the corner. If you sight down the side of the house its evident that its the whole corner and not the roof, beginning where the sunroom extends beyond the concrete wall/foundation. Its not really obvious if it wasn't for the door opening and window frames being slightly out of square. Mainly I'd like input on if there is a better way to raise it than screw jacks. They would seem to be the best most stable way to do it, using adequate cribbing for a base (railroad ties?) and welding up a bracket to attach it securely under the frame on either side of the corner post.

Thanks

Screw jacks or jack posts are the proper way to go.Hydraulic jacks have a tendency to drift. The main thing is to provide an adequate base for the jack to rest on that won't sink.

I would consider concrete filled lally column set in the footer.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb