+ Reply to Thread

Default Slate path (old pool table top)

I have 3 pieces of slate from an old pool table. Is this something I could break up or cut and use as a pathway? Not sure if anyone has done this successfully before. Any recommendations, concerns or advice is appreciated.

Default Re: Slate path (old pool table top)

No reason you couldn't, don't know that it will look all that great, since pathways use a naturally flaked stone, not a machine surfaced stone. I would be leary of it being slipper when wet.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Thanks. Good concern about it being slippery when wet. Regarding the look, I figured if it was broken up rather than cut pieces, it might help. Also just looking for possible second use to avoid the work of hauling it away (although creating a pathway involves work too!)

Are the pieces large enough to make a walkway out of them whole? You could offset the center one and space them by 6" or so, then they'll be "islands" as a path, this was a relatively common practice with cement pad walkways.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

If these slate pieces are not enough for a walkway, you may want to consider integrating them with other materials.

I have 3 slate pieces, each approximately 32"x50" and 1" thick. It could be cut or broken up. They have a very smooth surface on both sides. Not sure if it's worth the work to rent a saw to cut it. It's not fully usable in current state because of cutouts for the ball pockets.

The 14' path was going to be a simple alternative walkway from driveway to sidewalk at front porch. I figure with spaces between the slate stepping stones, I'd just make the length. The plan was then to landscape around and between it an the original concrete sidewalk at top of driveway to porch.

Sounds like I just scrap the idea and got with purchased stone.