+ Reply to Thread

Default Time for a Mitre Saw, looking for recommendations

Level of skill: DIYer with obsessive tendencies but not a ton of confidence with carpentry and looking to change that through experience

Use: mostly trim work, probably 5x per year over the next ten years, intend to install a lot of picture rail and some very simple small profile crown moulding, a treehouse and a deck may be in the future but the circular saw will be engaged for most of those tasks

Features wanted: compound cut ability, corded . . . do I want a little laser that tells me where the blade will hit, or is that like a laser sight on a handgun that just confirms what I should know already?

Looking to spend on the lower end, maybe up to $250 if that is a reasonable expectation.

I may also consider looking into a used one from a pawn shop if I can find one that should be $500 and would be a great deal, but again I may be nuts for thinking that
    It's this old house, not this built after your dad was born house.

Default Re: Time for a Mitre Saw, looking for recommendations

I have a DeWalt 12" with laser, but it was significantly more the $250. The laser helps prevent mistakes and if you buy a good unit it will find more and more to do with it.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

for lower price chopsaws i would recomend hitachi. i have a small 10" hitachi that i have had for many years and i love it it is light has a laser and is reasonably accurate. i also have an $800 milwauki 12" slider that is a great saw but a real pain to move so i end up using the cheap hitachi more often. i havnt checked prices in a long time but last i looked hitachis where the cheapest ones that i thought would be worth buying.

go to finehomebuilding.com and look up the reviews on compound miter saws. that should answer most of your questions.

mlb is right finehomebuilding has a great tool reveiw section all of which are done by proffessionals who use the tools day in day out.. unlike on amazon.com where the reviews are by people who dont know the difference between tools.

i have a bosch 4212L which is a great saw. very very accurate and tons of power however its getting old now and is getting ready to be put out to pasture.. ill be upgrading soon to either the milwaukee or the bosch axial glide.. we have 2 dewalt 718's at work which i absolutely hate.. why in earth any tool company would put a small motor on a 12" saw is beyond me.. it doenst have hte rpms to be a effective tool. honestly running it at lower rpms actually makes it less safe to use..
    fire up the saw and make some dust

I have had the Hitachi 10" compound prior to the laser addition. I put the add on laser on it for a little extra help. I bought this mainly because it is easy to move around. I have used it on hardwood flooring installation, molding and building face frame cabinets.

With an 80 tooth carbide blade this thing works great.

If you can find one, my all-time fave is the now-discontinued Hitachi C 10 FSH slider. Very accurate, very well made, very durable, and capable of almost as much as any other slider. The "H" indicates a laser. If it's big enough to do what you plan for, get a 10 inch saw and not a 12- price the blades and you'll understand why. BTW if you find 2 of the C 10 FS series sliders let me know- I want another one!

Phil

Talking Re: Time for a Mitre Saw, looking for recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by junkout View Post
    for lower price chopsaws i would recomend hitachi. i have a small 10" hitachi that i have had for many years and i love it it is light has a laser and is reasonably accurate. i also have an $800 milwauki 12" slider that is a great saw but a real pain to move so i end up using the cheap hitachi more often. i havnt checked prices in a long time but last i looked hitachis where the cheapest ones that i thought would be worth buying.
    I think.....I just think you recommend the product price a little expensive. Maybe consider Dewalt or makita will be save moeny.