+ Reply to Thread

Default Looking for a nailer recommendation

I have to replace a lot of cedar clapboards, sheathing and some framing (lots of rot). I'm going to pick up a nailer but I was wondering if any could suggest a single nailer to accomplish all these tasks. I realize that you dont want to sink the head of a nail down into the clapboards, which a framing nailer is certainly capable of, but I was wondering if any of the framing nailers would be "dialed down" enough to safely use of the siding. I have a few more projects (decking, etc...) that I need to do and I was hoping to get a single nailer that could accomplish as many jobs as possible.

Default Re: Looking for a nailer recommendation

You can't find one nail gun that is capable of doing everything you want it to do. You'll need at least four.

What brand(s)?

Stick around and watch the replies. This is one of the subjects that we can never agree on.

Ditto to the above post.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Ditto the above posts.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

and one more......"ditto"

Nailers come in different sizes and capacities for a reason, so, no, you can't buy one gun to do all things.

I'm not familiar enough with the installation methods of siding shakes. What I have found from the siding that I've removed is that it's all been installed with small headed nails, nails that are much too small to be run through a framing nailer. A finish nailer won't work because you need a head on the nail, and a finish gun only shoots headless nails, similarly with brad nailers, they shoot a smaller gauge headless nail than a finish gun does. A stapler might work, emphasis on "might" due to the requirements of the shake, can they be installed with a stapler, I don't know, I've never seen it, and even if they can, what size, 1/4" crown? 1/2" crown? Regardless, the two types of stapler will have vastly different purposes and characteristics, not only between themselves, but in their uses versus a nail gun.

What you have to do is determine your project(s), then purchase the appropriate tool for them.

As far as brands go, stick with name brands, Senco, Hitachi, Paslode, dare I say it, even Rigid. Stay away from off brands/gray market brands such as Chicago Pneumatic and anything else that Harbor Freight and it's ilk sells. Cheap guns are inaccurate and dangerous.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Siding guns are very specialized, use lighter gauge nails than framers. A respectable framer is at least $100 cheaper than the siding gun; siding gun nails will also set you back each time you buy a box. For moderate use an the kind of repairs you describe, it would be most cost effective to hand nail.
    Casey
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.

what Sombreuil_mongrel said is very true. when you're in the midst of this job you'll be wishing you bought a siding nailer but in the long run, you'll get the most use out of a framing nailer or finish nailer depending on what type of projects you typically take on. my advice would be to purchase the one that you think will benefit you the most in the long run and rent a siding nailer for the day or two or three that you decide to do the siding.

Ditto all of the above. All I can add is don't buy a cheap nail gun, even under limited DIY use you'll regret it.

Phil

What they said plus;

Look to see whose nails are available in your area.