+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default Safe to excavate around red clay tile foundation to tuckpoint and waterproof?

I have an old house built in 1919. I have a red clay tile foundation with crumbling mortar. I don't have any serious water intrusion issues in the basement, but I was wondering if I could safely hire someone to excavate around the perimeter of the foundation to tuckpoint the foundation, appy a waterproofing membrane and drop some drain tiles in and run them to daylight. I'm scared about excavating around this type of foundation. I know that the soil around the foundation wall is probably providing some structural support and the last thing I want to do is weaken it when the purpose of this is to get more life out it. Is it safe to excavate around these types of foundations? They don't seem to have footings. Thank you!

Default Re: Safe to excavate around red clay tile foundation to tuckpoint and waterproof?

I would consult with footing/foundation experts. To find the right guy, you'll need to do the research, ask for references, check them out, ask for recommendations and follow through.

This is a highly specialized trade and you don't want your money go to waste here on the wrong guy.

Default Re: Safe to excavate around red clay tile foundation to tuckpoint and waterproof?

I'm having trouble finding someone who does this type of work. A lot of them would rather sell me inside repairs and a new basement floor with a sump pit. I've been asking around.

You might try a contractor that specializes in old house renovations. He might have a suggestion or contact.
    Your thought sounds like a good one, but it will be expensive.