+ Reply to Thread

Question Best Way to Remove Algae

On one side of my shed I have this green stuff growing. Not sure if it's algae or moss. Below is a picture of it.

What is the best way to chemically remove it. I heard that I could use a power washer to remove it, but that damages shingles so I'd prefer the chemical route.

Also, does anyone know what causes this to grow? It's only on one side of the shed. Thanks.

Default Re: Best Way to Remove Algae

That would be moss, and it is extremely common on the shady side of all roofs. I believe that zinc will kill and prevent it. There are sprays specifically for applying to roof moss to kill and prevent it.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

See if you can find this product in your area.
    D/2 Architectural Antimicrobial.
    This works very well for Algae & Mold.

Try Jomax it works great. Put it on with a pump sprayer then work with a stiff bristle push broom

http://www.rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=334
    Gizmo

Cut it 3 times & it's still to short.
    Inventor of the Miter Master Plus.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Use 100% bleach. At about $1.50 a gallon it's cheap. Spray it with a garden sprayer, wait 20 minutes and watch it go away.

Lightbulb Re: Best Way to Remove Algae

Hi dj1, thanks for your help with this. I am afraid that 100% bleach might hurt the roof, but you are correct, bleach does kill moss. I have been doing extensive research on this and have found that bleach, Morton Lite salt, and Ultra Dawn dish soap all effectively kill moss, so I am going to mix all 3 up and spray it on the moss.

To make sure that the moss never comes back you simply take a piece of cooper flashing (like THIS) and place it under the top shingle. Problem is, it's very hard to find a place that sells it by the foot, so I may end up gluing copper pennies to the top shingle instead.

Quote Originally Posted by MyMilan View Post
    Hi dj1, thanks for your help with this. I am afraid that 100% bleach might hurt the roof, but you are correct, bleach does kill moss. I have been doing extensive research on this and have found that bleach, Morton Lite salt, and Ultra Dawn dish soap all effectively kill moss, so I am going to mix all 3 up and spray it on the moss.

To make sure that the moss never comes back you simply take a piece of cooper flashing (like THIS) and place it under the top shingle. Problem is, it's very hard to find a place that sells it by the foot, so I may end up gluing copper pennies to the top shingle instead.
    Bleach won't hurt your shingles, salt or power wash will. Remember, 100% bleach - a gallon over 100 sf.
    Save your pennies (is there copper in them?), you don't want thieves climbing up your roof to steal them.

Copper flashing may be available where gutter supplies are sold.

Pennies no longer have copper in them, the copper would be worth more than the penny, let alone the cost of minting them, which already costs more than the penny itself.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!