+ Reply to Thread

Default Picture rail height

I am looking to install picture rail in the living and bedrooms, and want some input on the install height.

Should I keep the height a single distance from the floor, a fixed distance from the floor at one point and level throughout(this is where I am leaning, 95" from the floor at a point of my choosing and use a level and chalk line from there), or a fixed distance from the ceiling?

The house is 100+ years old so no doorway or window trim is perfectly level, and the ceiling height is not quite the same but pretty close to 9'1". I am not sure if I want to be happy with the windows and doors looking a shade off, or the picture rail not being perfectly level.
    It's this old house, not this built after your dad was born house.

Default Re: Picture rail height

I would recommend setting the picture rail a fixed distance from the ceiling, as it will be closest to and parallel to the ceiling and most noticeable if it is not. You can adjust it +/- 1/2" at the corners if you want to, as that amount over a long distance won't be noticed.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    I would recommend setting the picture rail a fixed distance from the ceiling, as it will be closest to and parallel to the ceiling and most noticeable if it is not. You can adjust it +/- 1/2" at the corners if you want to, as that amount over a long distance won't be noticed.
    agreed.....

Thank you gents, I'll go with that
    It's this old house, not this built after your dad was born house.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwardwhite View Post
    if still you arent resolved with the problem of yours then its better to contact a good interior designer for this problem. you would get a better solution for it right now
    i don't believe that this is an interior design issue at all. location of hanging paintings would be an interior design issue. placement of a picture rail would not be.