+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default Old Cedar Siding

I have old cedar siding from the late 70s on a house I'm buying. It looks pretty dark and black. I tried to upload a pic, but it didn't seem to let me even after I compressed the file to 13kb. Anyway, does anyone have a recommendation for a product or method to restore the old siding?

Default Re: Old Cedar Siding

Try cedar stain. Zinsser and Cabot make them.

But if you hate the cedar sidings, which are over 40 y.o, replace them with something modern.

If the old siding is bare and discolored, one of the cleaners intended for decks will help get rid of the black/greying and largely return the original color. These cleaners usually contain oxalic acid as the bleaching agent.

Trying to keep cedar looking good with a transparent or semi-transparent stain is a losing battle. A solid hide sain will result in far better performance and far less effort

Over the years, I have had very good results with Cabot's solid hide stains. Where the siding was very dry, I would prime with the oil version of the stain. After several days of letting the oil stain dry, I would then top coat it with the acrylic version of the Cabot stain. Acrylic stains will hold the color far better than an oil stain.

Choosing the right wood stain combination is very important to ensure you get the most out of your wood. I just stained my cedar siding with Storm System's products and was very satisfied with the results.