+ Reply to Thread

Default Need Solution For Disposing Of Dirt/Yard Waste

Hi,

I don't know if this is the right place to post this. If another section is more appropriate, please let me know.

I have a small house in the Seattle area. My neighbour left his yard completely untended for several years... including an invasive 'bamboo forest'. The roots of all that really ruined my yard. I had to dig up a ton (literally) of dirt and replace french drains throughout my back yard.

So I have a pile of heavy clay dirt and yard waste (bamboo) about 20' long, 3' wide and 3' high. My guess is that this would take a strong guy at -least- a day to remove. Plus, I'm told 1 sq yd of dirt weighs over a ton so it's more than one can fit in a pickup. I don't own a truck and renting one for more than just a few hrs is fairly pricey. Plus, I'm on disability so it would take me -days- to do this myself.

I called a guy with a 'machine' (bobcat?) and he wanted like $400 just to bring the machine over... And then there is the cost of disposal. But he said the machine would take about 1/2hr to move the earth.

So... anyone got any suggestions on what to do with this stuff that won't cost a fortune?

TIA,

---JC

Default Re: Need Solution For Disposing Of Dirt/Yard Waste

Surely Seattle has a green waste program that would be able to pick up the pile for you?

While most green waste programs don't want dirt in with the green waste, it may be possible that they'd make an exception in your case.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

'Green Waste' ? You're joking, right?

I know Seattle (King County) is supposed to be so 'green', but AFAIK there is no public program that comes to your door and picks up yard waste. It's $120 per ton to drop off 'solid waste' at the transfer station and I need a way to get it there. And my guess is that I've got several tons. It's $8 every two weeks for yard waste. Dirt is totally not allowed.

Any other ideas?

Thanks,

---JC

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    Surely Seattle has a green waste program that would be able to pick up the pile for you?

While most green waste programs don't want dirt in with the green waste, it may be possible that they'd make an exception in your case.

Let me ask you this, how is your yard waste picked up?

We used to have street pick-up, which was pretty finicky about what was picked up. Now, we have a 90 gallon can, and as long as the lid is closed, they'd don't give a flying rats patootie what is in it. Now, those of us who are "green" minded, only put green things in the can, which IMHO, includes dirt.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Yeah.... they disagree on the whole 'dirt as yard waste' concept.

But even if I tried that 'strategy'... and the guy didn't notice that the container weighs 300lbs... it would take like 3-4 months to get it all out... as they only pick up every other week.

I was kinda hoping for some magical 'Extreme Makeover' solution... for under $300.

Thanks,

---JC

Stick a sign in it that says "free dirt"

That's actually not far from reality. Check out Craigslist and the newspaper want ads for people looking for fill dirt.

How quickly do you want to get rid of the dirt?

Very quickly? hire the bobcat guy.
    Not so quickly? put a sign "free dirt". In my city, they allow only 20% of dirt (or bldg materials) in the cans.

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    Not so quickly? put a sign "free dirt". In my city, they allow only 20% of dirt (or bldg materials) in the cans.
    I my city, what they don't know won't hurt 'em!