+ Reply to Thread

Default Would you buy a house with a north-facing kitchen?

I would be grateful for everyone's thoughts on whether or not to buy a house with the following predicament:

The house needs a complete kitchen renovation. It is a moderately well built "new old house" from 1990. It was built overlooking a pasture and has a long rectangular room (kitchen/dining/family). The room faces due north, with the long side of the rectangle facing the views. The windows are small and you cannot really see the view. The southern side of the room is blank walls. The western side of the room is also blank walls (garage behind it). The only other exposure is eastern, but the eastern wall shares a wall with the screened porch, which blocks almost all of the light.

I have never seen natural light in this room, morning or afternoon. An architect suggested skylights. The usual "bump-out" idea is problematic because the kitchen/living room is 12 feet off the ground, connected by a (very ugly) deck that runs the length of the house. The deck also blocks the view of the pasture.

Would love to hear from those who enjoy their north-facing rooms, and who have seen dramatic results from swapping out small windows for picture windows. It just seems a shame to buy a house with lovely views and not see them. And since the house is in the South, it's very disappointing to spend most of your time in a room with no natural light filtering in. But if that's fixable, we would love to do the kitchen renovation.

Default Re: Would you buy a house with a north-facing kitchen?

Larger windows will help.
    So will a skylight. I don't understand why being 12' off the ground and having a deck have anything to do with a skylight.

Default Re: Would you buy a house with a north-facing kitchen?

North facing windows are highly favored by artists as the most natural light. No glare. I think your issue is that they are too small. If you like the house and the views and the price of the house along with the cost of putting in larger windows is worth it to you, then go for it.

Think one large window by the dining table and one large window in the family room. Because it is north facing, a large window in the family room won't cause as much glare on the TV set. The family room is optional if you want to wait on that, but a picture window or sliding glass door near the dining table is a must. Go for good energy efficient ones though.