+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 4-way Confusion

Smile 4-way Confusion

I'm installing a new 4-way switch. The old switch that it's replacing, and other 4 ways that I've seen hook up with one set of (3 way) black and white wires going to one set of silver and black screws, and the other white and black wires coming from the other 3 way switch go to the other silver and black switch terminals. However this 4 way switch seems to be different, and I wanted someone to verify that I'm doing it right. When I tried to wire the switch as mentioned above it did not work.

According to the box from the switch (see diagram below) one 3-way switch set of black and white wires goes to BOTH silver screws on the new 4 way, and the other set of black and white wires from the second 3-way switch goes to BOTH black terminals on the 4-way switch.

I labeled where (apparently) they want the black and white wires to go in the diagram below. Does this look right?

Also they show a "input" and "output" for the 4 way switch. I didn't think 4 way switches had a in and out....

Default Re: 4-way Confusion

Don't worry about the input/output label, it is just a reference to show that one end of the switch hooks to one 3-way a the other end to the other 3-way. wire it as the diagram shows.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Diagram is fine but use the white to go to the white on the light, via each switchbox.

Since three wire romex comes with a black, red and white the colors should also be fine. Don't worry if you cross some of the "travellers" between the switches. When you turn on the power the light may be off or on but after that the light will go off or on everytime you throw a switch.
    Good Luck from Columbiana, Alabama
    Maurice Turgeon, Hidden Content

Lightbulb Re: 4-way Confusion

Quote Originally Posted by The Semi-Retired Electric View Post
    Diagram is fine but use the white to go to the white on the light, via each switchbox.
    I'm not sure what you mean here. The white (neutral) isn't going through any switches, and the white travelers go to the 4-way, not the light.

Quote Originally Posted by MyMilan View Post
    I'm installing a new 4-way switch. The old switch that it's replacing, and other 4 ways that I've seen hook up with one set of (3 way) black and white wires going to one set of silver and black screws, and the other white and black wires coming from the other 3 way switch go to the other silver and black switch terminals. However this 4 way switch seems to be different, and I wanted someone to verify that I'm doing it right. When I tried to wire the switch as mentioned above it did not work.

According to the box from the switch (see diagram below) one 3-way switch set of black and white wires goes to BOTH silver screws on the new 4 way, and the other set of black and white wires from the second 3-way switch goes to BOTH black terminals on the 4-way switch.

I labeled where (apparently) they want the black and white wires to go in the diagram below. Does this look right?

Also they show a "input" and "output" for the 4 way switch. I didn't think 4 way switches had a in and out....

The diagram from the maufacturer is correct as-is. The white wire (neutral) at the left side should be connected to the light on the right with wire nuts in the other boxes.

The other wire colors can be either red or black per the diagram, from the power on the left, to the light on the right, via the switches.
    Good Luck from Columbiana, Alabama
    Maurice Turgeon, Hidden Content

Don't worry about the color of the wires, in your case connect the travelers from on 3-way to the 2 silver screws, and the travelers going to the other 3-way to the black screws. New code requires a neutral at switch locations but you are not rewiring you are just replacing switches.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb