+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: What Did They Use?

Quote Originally Posted by JBM0521 View Post
    I posted earlier about green float. You have to look by the drywall tools/ concrete area to find it.
    Exactly, the float will be in the concrete section, not the tile section.

And just in case you're still questioning the paint/compound thing. You can't use paint as texture additive to plaster, it just won't work. You always texture first, then paint afterwards. There are some caveats to this, but I won't confuse you with superfluous info.

What I would do is to mix sand of a similar grit to the existing texture into your drywall compound. Add a small amount of sand, mix well, and try it. Adjust the consistency of the drywall compound with clean water, add more sand if necessary. When you're happy with the grit and consistency, load the side of the float with an even bead of your texture compound and wipe it onto the surface.

It will take you some practice to get the size of the bead of texture on the float right (probably about 3/4" ). Set the float on it's edge at a severe angle, and as you move across the area, you flatten the float to the wall. This pulls the bead of texture off the side of the trowel in a metered amount and produces a uniform thickness.

Here is a tip, stay on the smooth patched surface until you've created an acceptable texture pattern. Practice, practice, practice! If you don't like your results, scr-ape the texture off with a drywall knife and start over. That is the great thing with drywall, if you don't like what you're doing, wipe it off and start again. You will probably want to practice on a scrap, just so you don't damage the wall with too many removals of the texture. Once you're satisfied with your results, then you can feather in the new texture to the old. You will need to texture out wider than your patch, to help blend in the area.

When it comes time to paint, put at least one good coat of primer over the area before you apply your top coat, this will help to lessen the shadow you'll get between the previously painted surface and the new work.

Good luck, let us know how it goes.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Lightbulb Re: What Did They Use?

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    Exactly, the float will be in the concrete section, not the tile section.
    I went there but they did not have a green float. Just black and red. I'm assuming you are talking about a float like the one shown below. They did however have premixed stucco, so I bought a quart. When I got home I looked at it and to my (happy) surprise it looks VERY close to what was used in my garage. Since I am only repairing small sections (most are less that 1 foot square) I thought I'd experiment with other ways to apply it, since HD didn't carry the float. I'm going to try using some foam sandpaper like THIS. It comes in different textures so I should be able to mimic what is on the walls, although I may have to thin it out a little.

When it comes time to paint, put at least one good coat of primer over the area before you apply your top coat, this will help to lessen the shadow you'll get between the previously painted surface and the new work.
    THANKS for the tip. I will get some primer for that

Default Re: What Did They Use?

You might get that premixed stucco to work, but it's pretty unruly, especially when it dries. If you don't get it applied the way you like when you apply it, get it off before it dries or you'll have a serious mess on your hands, that stuff won't come off.

Personally, I'd stick with drywall compound and course sand, much more workable, you can use grout sponges, and it is super easy clean up whether it is wet or dry.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!