+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question What Did They Use?

The garage to my house was added on back around the late 60"s early 70's. They used some kind of a texture finish on it. It's not from a brush or a roller. It looks more like when there is fresh cement installed. Appears to be in a circular or semi-circular motion when applied. I tried to take a picture of it (below). Does anyone recognize this type of a finish? What is it called?

Default Re: What Did They Use?

What you have is something in between fine and heavy sand finish stucco.

The stucco specia list uses a foam float in circular motions, bringing the sand granules to the surface, when still wet. This finish is very popular in California and painting it is a breeze.

Lightbulb Re: What Did They Use?

I've never seen Stucco before but I have heard about it. I always thought that Stucco was applied over a wire mesh around 1/2 inch thick. This (whatever I have) is applied over regular drywall and is only the thickness of regular paint. Is it still considered Stucco?

If so, then how would you repair a Stucco wall so that the finish is uniform? With a sponge?

Is it indoor or exterior?

Could be Tex Coat. Blown and then hand troweled.

Could be Tex Coat. Blown and then hand troweled with a foam trowel.

Smile Re: What Did They Use?

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    It is inside the garage. They used 3/4 inch drywall over the studs, then this "finish" is over the drywall.

It looks like a "sand finish" additive that's mixed in with the paint then rolled on. My dad used to use something like this, but I don't remember the exact product.

Something like this:

http://www.usg.com/sheetrock-sand-fi...-additive.html
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

dj1 has it correct sand float finish.
    use a green sponge float for the exact texture.
    It was not painted on look at the swirl strokes.
    Could have used sand added to the finish sheet rock mud or used a premix finish plaster finish with sand added.

Smile Re: What Did They Use?

Quote Originally Posted by Clarence View Post
    use a green sponge float for the exact texture.
    It was not painted on look at the swirl strokes.
    Could have used sand added to the finish sheet rock mud or used a premix finish plaster finish with sand added.
    I can find a rubber sponge grout float at local Home Depot, but not a "green" sponge float. Is there something special about the green sponge ones that I need?

I was thinking of diluting some sheet rock mud with water and mixing it with the paint, and then applying in one quarter circular motions. I'm not doing the whole wall, just in spots where the wall was repaired. I agree it was not painted on. They used some sort of trowel or groat float.

The grout floats are to hard ( Black & Red )
    The Green float can be found at some Lowes and most masonary supply retailers.
    The Green is a more open sponge & will give you the same texture as in photo.
    Also check in your area for Stucco supplies they should have one.