+ Reply to Thread

Default spackle came through eggshell paint

I just repainted our basement wall after spackling some marks the kids made from playing downstairs and I painted with the same eggshell paint that I had previously, taped off, painted the whole wall (not just spots) and went back down there today to see all the little spots from the spackle showing through. What do I need to do to get rid of the marks so it looks like a nice fresh coat of paint?

Default Re: spackle came through eggshell paint

You forgot to prime.

I didn't think I needed to prime since they were tiny little spots.... so now what do I need to do in order to get it so you can't see all the dots?

You can do a search in the "painting" dept in this site. This is a topic that has come up very frequently.

2 coats of 123 primer, then a nice coat of paint.

Yes, you should have spot primed, then full coat primed the entire wall, then two coats of your top coat.

The reason you're getting these "shiners" is that the spackle is porous and absorbed the paint, while the non-spackled areas the paint stayed on the surface. Spot priming would have sealed these areas, the full prime would have blended the whole wall together, then the two top coats would have given you a perfect finish.

Since you've already painted the entire wall, go back and recoat the shiners with your top coat, you may need to do this twice to get the spots to blend in. Once that is dry, if you now have "reverse" shiners, repainting the entire wall should take care of the problem.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!