+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mice

Angry Mice

Hi all....

I just noticed that I have had a mouse or mice in my house. Came to this realization on Sunday so Sunday I spent 1/2 the day at Home Depot buying things like mouse traps and steel wool. When I got home I filled the holes in the garage (I think that is where they were coming in from) that lead into my house, with steel wool. I was planning on filling those holes with cement for another problem but had to do a quick fix. Last night I did a scan of the kitchen (where I saw what I think was mouse droppings) and cleaned with Clorox and water (which I will continue today). I also filled a hole under the kitchen sink around the water pipe, with steelwool. I am guessing they were getting in thru the garage, into the basement and made a hole around the pipe under the kitchen sink and had a party for them selves (assuming more than one).

Over the past month I had heard some rumblings in the house and didn't know what to think (thought it might be outside). Now I know what it was and that the noise was coming from the basement.
    Last night I put traps in the basement and the kitchen. I caught nothing and do not see or hear anything today. Last night I also tapped hard on the walls in the basement and other objects where a mouse could possibly hide. I got no response.

Is it possible that the mice would run into the house at night and leave the next morning? I am wondering why I do not see or hear anything today. Of course I will continue to be on the look out for them for at least a month...don't want to be caught off guard.

Any advise?

Thanks in advance....
    Tina

Default Re: Mice

if you used glue traps, set them as close to the areas you described as possible.

if you used poison, either the mice would die in the wall or they would leave the house in search of water.

give it a few days, check the traps again and let us know what you found.

Quote Originally Posted by MLB Construction View Post
    if you used glue traps, set them as close to the areas you described as possible.

if you used poison, either the mice would die in the wall or they would leave the house in search of water.

give it a few days, check the traps again and let us know what you found.
    ok.....thanks

I don't like poison, because there's a chance the mice will die inside the walls, giving you a stench for weeks.

Instead, I use traps with Jiffy peanut butter (or store brand). Don't let the mice play mind games with you by eating the fresh, delicious peanut butter and don't get caught - place it on the metal thing in the trap. Change daily. Once a trap is used, discard and use new ones. There can be only one winner.

In a house I was building I caught 28 of them before I proclaimed victory. Those were the days I had patience.

Hi All.....

It has been 3 days and I have not seen or heard anything of the mice in the house or basement. None caught in traps....no droppings around and no rumblings around. Does this sound like they left before I filled the holes with steel wool? Don't want to be caught by surprise....

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance...
    Tina

Ok...I saw something from the mouse....I put down 8 sticky traps and the night before last in the morning I saw where the mouse had gotten caught on one of the traps but got away. I went to home depot and got some of the snap traps....put some peanut butter on them (put down 2 in addition to the sticky traps). Last night none of the traps caught this pest. Did anyone have a problem with mice like this. Today it is very quite...I usually don't hear anything that is why I thought I didn't have any more mouse prob (but still kept the traps down).

I don't what to do. Is it possible that this thing can stay alive on nothing...I know he is not getting any food in my house cause the mouse is confined to the basement (plugged all holes with steel wool that were leading to up stairs unless it make new holes. Hope I catch it before that. House is small so I would know if it was around upstairs. ) Also I keep all food in plastic containers. Could he be dead from prying loose from the sticky board trap?

Should I get an exterminator .......would I know if I had more than one? I had seen signs of droppings in a hidden area and it looks like a mouse.

Any help would help. I am confused and worried.

Thanks in advance.
    Christine

I've never had much luck with peanut butter alone. American cheese works but you have to change it every day or it gets too hard for them. Fresh cornbread really works, but so does peanut butter with some molasses mixed in. With either the cornbread or the molasses and peanut butter, sometimes I don't even get all the way to the living room before I hear the trap snap.

they also get in under doors. They only need a quarter inch or so to squeeze through. If you put down poison, it generally makes them thirsty, so they leave the house if they can.

I think I am going to call an exterminator does it sound like that is necessary. I spoke with one today and he said if I am not hearing noise they could be having babies and there will be a lot more.

Tina

The exterminator will probably do what was suggested here - using one method or a combination of a few.

When setting up traps, you need to visit and check them them everyday. The exterminator won't like that, so he'll likely throw bait and poison.

Now that you know more about eliminating mice, it's your call.