+ Reply to Thread

Default Leak in the roof

We have been fighting with this leak in the roof that will not go away. We put a whole new roof on put new gaskets around all the vents and chimney. Where the house and garage comes together it really leaks. My husband has gone in the attic and you can see when it rains it's running along the main beam at peak of roof but we can't see where it starts. I have water spots in kitchen, living room and bathroom ceilings. We started remodeling kitchen more than 2 years ago and stopped because of this. When it rains it was actually coming into the microwave too. We keep a bowl in there to catch the water. It shorted it out now so its no good. So frustrated and I want to finish my kitchen. Any ideas of what's going on? Wish you guys were closer to us so you could look at it. Hoping you have ideas of what to do.

Default Re: Leak in the roof

Quote: "We put a whole new roof on put new gaskets around all the vents and chimney. Where the house and garage comes together it really leaks"

1. Without an inspection I can't say much.
    2. When was the new roof put on? Who did the job? What did he/they do specifically?
    3. How many roof layers are there?
    4. What style roof do you have?
    5. What's under the roof and over the roof deck? Your "new" roof is only as good as the FELT PAPER under it.
    6. Have you talked to the installer? was he a qualified (licensed, bonded and insured) roofer?

As you can see, there are many questions to answer.

Roofing is not that complicated, when done right, but it can be a nightmare when done wrong.

Default Re: Leak in the roof

Quote Originally Posted by Gladys View Post
    We have been fighting with this leak in the roof that will not go away. We put a whole new roof on put new gaskets around all the vents and chimney. Where the house and garage comes together it really leaks. My husband has gone in the attic and you can see when it rains it's running along the main beam at peak of roof but we can't see where it starts. I have water spots in kitchen, living room and bathroom ceilings. We started remodeling kitchen more than 2 years ago and stopped because of this. When it rains it was actually coming into the microwave too. We keep a bowl in there to catch the water. It shorted it out now so its no good. So frustrated and I want to finish my kitchen. Any ideas of what's going on? Wish you guys were closer to us so you could look at it. Hoping you have ideas of what to do.

Usually roofs that are being repaired will also need maintenance for gutters and vent pipes. Have it checked again because these leaks can be caused by a damage, such as missing shingles, a blistered or cracked area.