+ Reply to Thread

Default storm door install

My rental property has a front storm door that was trashed beyond repair. Now that the tenants are out I want to put a new one in.
    Are these pretty strait forward? I assume I measure the opening and buy or order accordingly. Anything I need to know before hand? I've never done one,so I just like to ask questions before I jump in,not after I have problems.
    Thanks.

Default Re: storm door install

The only complicated ones I have come across use the "Eurpean-style" locks and you will need a hole saw (7/8", IIRC) to bore the holes for it. If it uses a simple surface catch in with just a screwdriver and a few ordinary drill bits.
    Casey
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.

installing a storm door is very basic and straight forward. all you need is the size of the entry door to order the storm door. there's hundreds to choose from and each installation varies slightly but the directions are usually very good in explaining how to do it. i've installed many of them and i always refer to the installation instructions that come with the door to make things go smoothly.

When purchasing, make sure you get the new door to swing in the right direction. The hinges of the storm door and the front door should be on the same side of the jamb. Also make sure you install a closer on the new door, this will help keep the door from being beaten so badly by less than careful users.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

spruce is right about the swing....a majority of the storm doors come out of the box so that you can set them up to swing either way. just make sure you ask that question when you purchase it.

I did this install yesterday. Went pretty smooth.
    Thanks for the heads-up on the door swing. The one I got could be mounted either way,but some I was looking to buy were already pre-drilled for the hinges and latch,so I could have screwed this up if I didn't pay attention.

Glad it worked out for you, and thanks for the update.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Go for an experienced contractor so that there is not much difficulty in installing these storm doors in the correct and the easiest way possible. You can checkout these replacement Contractors,GTA Windows and Doors to know about the installation and also get a free estimate of your work.