+ Reply to Thread

Default Cutting a hole in Cement

So, I am trying to cut thru cement in my sidewall to install a new bathroom vent. I need to make a hole 4 inches in diameter in cement that is less than a 1/4" deep. Was hoping to get lucky with a hole saw on the drill, but to no avail. Any suggestions?

Default Re: Cutting a hole in Cement

You need a diamond boring blade for that, not hole saw (which works on wood).

Another idea, more practical if you need it for 1 time only and you don't want to buy it: use a grinder with masonry blade and carefully make small cuts until you get a round cut. If the cuts are too big, don't worry about it now, you'll fill them once your vent is in place. You can also hide them with a round flashing.

Another method is to draw your vent diameter on the wall, then using a masonry drill bit, perforate the perimeter of the circle, about every 1/8" - 1/4". Once the perimeter is perforated, use a masonry chisel and hammer to break out the bridges between the perforations, leaving you with the hole you're looking for without having to buy special tools and such.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by McQueen777 View Post
    So, I am trying to cut thru cement in my sidewall to install a new bathroom vent. I need to make a hole 4 inches in diameter in cement that is less than a 1/4" deep. Was hoping to get lucky with a hole saw on the drill, but to no avail. Any suggestions?
    You can use a masonry drill bit. Draw a circle (4" in diameter) for where you would like the hole to be. Drill the center and a few inches from the center (1.5"-2") and so forth radiating from the center to the exterior circle you drew. You can then take a hammer and chisel and chip the cement away. If you need a clean hole then you'll have to finish the edges off nicely but the multiple holes within the area will weaken the cement so you can break it away easily.
    Don't kill the dream, execute it.

Retroloco-LJ
    Hidden Content